Preparing an Itemized Statement of Deductions for repairs and cleaning:
- List the item and the dollar amount for each deduction and attach receipts.
- Make your receipts very detailed.
- For example, carpet cleaning, $160, for stains on living room carpet.
- Put repair person’s info.
- You still must itemize the deduction even if you have a judgment against the tenant larger than the deposit.
Mailing the security deposit info:
- You should mail the security deposit itemization list to the tenant’s last known address or forwarding address, along with a check for any balance you owe. This should be mailed within three weeks of the tenant’s departure.